Friday, December 5, 2014

VEGAN BLACK BEAN BURGERS... that aren't mushy

 Vegan Black Bean Burgers 

I love these burgers.....for a lot of reasons.
But my top 2 reasons are: I can freeze them and they are packed with goodness.




This recipe is from Zucchini Runner.

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. fresh, cubed butternut squash (heat in a bowl in the microwave with some water and 1 tsp. coconut oil; cover with a paper towel; I used my microwave’s Sensor Cook settings. You just want it soft.)
1/2 sm. brown onion, chopped
2-3 cloves fresh garlic
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp chia + 3 tbsp water (let set for 5 min. in a small cup or ramekin)
1 tbsp flaxseed

1/3 c. oat flour
1/3 c. garbanzo bean flour
3 tbsp. tapioca flour

Heat a griddle to 375° so it’s ready to go by the time you are done forming your patties. You want to give the burgers a good sear to prevent sticking!

Combine all ingredients, minus the flours in your food processor and pulse until well combined; leave some small chunks remaining. If you make it too smooth, they will be a sticky mess! Remove the mixture from the processor and place into a large bowl. (At this time, spray the heating griddle with coconut oil.) Add the flour to the mixture and mash with freshly washed, undried, clean hands (this will help with the sticking a bit). Once all the flour is incorporated, form into 1/3 cup patties, and drop directly onto the hot, oiled griddle. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, flipping a couple times during cooking. Serve with your favorite toppings and side! We did homemade fries as our side, with fresh spinach, tomato, pickle and mustard on the burgers. So GOOD!

Here is where I add my own twist.

I like to cook my own black beans.  That way I can use them for this recipe and another.
I also like to make a double batch.

I buy the butternut squash and cut it up in chunks and freeze it.  That way when I need it I can 
grab it out of the freezer.  It's cheaper that way.  Sometimes I worry I will loose a finger cutting that squash though.

I had a hard time find the Garbanzo bean flour. So I have started making my own flours.
It's surprisingly easy.  I will share more later but the short story is I put the Beans or oats in the Vitamix and blend away till it makes flour.  Then I store it in the freezer.


Grab your food processor and get ready for some delicious burgers.


Doesn't that just scream healthy in a food processor.



Are you getting hungry yet? I am.



This is the consistency after you add the flour.




I love the health benefits of these burgers.

The Squash alone has; vitamin A (vitamin A has been found to be a natural anti-oxidant)
It's rich in B complex vitamins like folate, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin.
It is recommended by dieticians for lowering cholesterol and weight control.

The Black Beans provide fiber and protein.  Black beans have been shown to provide special support
for our digestive tract.

Chia Seeds; are loaded with anti-oxidants, high in Omega 3 fatty acids.  To name a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin